Friday, February 8, 2008

Foulksrath Castle


So, I finally heard the ghost stories about the haunted castle I stayed in when I traveled to Kilkenny. All I can say is, thank GOD I did not know this beforehand:

according to anoige.ie:

"Many guests gather in the evenings where they like to eat by candlelight and share travel tales. A BBC television team of British Ghost hunters visited the hostel and sent back a report to say that ‘their machines recorded the best ghostly sounds of any place they visited in Ireland’.
It is believed that the daughter of the owner (Dean Swift) fell in love with an Irish boy and was locked away by her father in the ‘Cuckoo Nest’ room to stop her from seeing him. The girl is believed to have finally been killed by her father in this room and it seems that the ghost of the girl still can be found in this ‘Cuckoo Nest’ room.
Another story has it that in 2002 an An Óige member was sleeping in this room and awoke to find her duvet moving in a wave like motion. Therefore the stories continue as to whether Foulksrath is actually haunted or not!"

I STAYED IN THE CUCKOO NEST ROOM I CANNOT BELIEVED I ALLOWED MYSELF TO GO TO A HAUNTED CASTLE.

It totally must have been haunted. When we were eating dinner, a huge dump of dust fell from the rafters for no reason. It must be true.

2 comments:

molski said...

aggggggghhhh!!!!!
thats nuts.
you are crazy
i would have nightmares for the rest of my life

Paul Hopkins said...

I see you mention Dean Swift.
Did you know that Jonathan Swift, who wrote Gulliver's Travels was also referred to as Dean Swift and lived at Swift's Heath. Foulksrath Castle was part of Swift's Heath until 1948 and was sold by the Swift family to An Oige.